Monday, June 9, 2008

Songs of the Mo'

five songs getting my goat of late. that's right i'm changing the phrase, i'm spinnin' it flip-mode on ya. from here on the term "getting your goat" will refer to shit that knocks you sideways, as opposed something that pisses you off.


New Order - Elegia

Dark dawning of the second side of the Low-life album. Synths rising over massive drums, making heavy and more real the seriousness of Joy Division, making their story with a scary, quietly violent instrumental.


Pat Benatar - We Belong

Found the 7" single the other week for $1 and nearly died. Played the song non-stop for a couple of days, singing along with Pat's pain. The slow and completely over-the-fucking-top chorus carried me away away away. Will always be remembered for the time me and friend copied the lyrics from this song onto a drawing of a lady blowing a chimp. 'Many times I tried to tell you/many times I cried alone . . .'
Hang out for a full critical analysis of Pat Benatar songs in a future post. Yes, I'm serious.


The Eastern Dark - Julie Is A Junkie

Glorious Australian pop shouter, its a wicked Ramones rip-off about confusion and love for a girl who's only gonna break you in two. Choruses that kick off with a keening minor-chord wail get me every time.


Ween - Baby Bitch

Half-serious song from notorious genre-plasting idiots. The story goes like this: dude is hanging at a party with his chick, sees an ex who's surprised that he would be with anyone. He tells her in the chorus, eschewing all politeness: "Baby, baby, baby bitch/I'm better now please fuck off." Sounds wonderfully barbed when sung. We soon learn that the narrator was at one time fat and ugly but has been a whole fuck-load better since he stopped seeing this chick. Pretty freaking bitter, but the dude is moving on. Not unlike a situation that I found myself in not that long ago. I'm not as bitter as the Ween boys maybe, but next time I see that bitch and her boyfriend I will most likely stab them both.


The Magnetic Fields - Epitaph For My Heart

Re-found the 'Feilds recently and took myself back to a time of rainy day bus-rides to and from the town my girlfriend of the time was living. From the beginning, the harmonised reading of an electrical device's warning tag to the image of hurling the love's ashes off the Brill Building on a perfect evocation of the pain of love that is necesarry for pop.


I'm not posting any mp3's for these songs because I don't know how. And even if I did I probably wouldn't anyway. Find 'em for yourself and see what else you stumble across.

No comments: